Head of Department Surfacing F/H
Contract type: Permanent contract
Work time: Full time
SUPERPROD develops, produces and distributes animated and fictional feature films and TV series and has its own animation studios in Paris, Angoulême and Milan as well as an office in Los Angeles.
This position is based either in Paris, Angouleme or Remote.
Within our Studio, and for all of our productions and developments, you head the Surfacing department and oversee all department operations including lookdev, UVs, textures and shading.
Under the direction of the Head of CG, you support the Supervisors, Supervisors and Leads of the Surfacing department working on both our Series and our Animated Films, both in development and in production.
You work closely with CG supervisors, Art Directors and other Department Directors
- Pilot and technically and artistically guide his team to establish a high level in the quality of deliverables and meet the prescribed delivery deadlines
- Establishes and creates the final look of the decors and accessories of each project
- Ensures compliance of assets with the desired overall design of each project
- Is responsible for the optimization, documentation and consistency of the workflow, tools and resources of the surfacing department
- Collaborate with the Supervisors of the relevant departments in order to prepare the assets for the lighting / rendering
- Work in collaboration with the head of CG, CG Supervisors and the Technical / Pipeline Department to define the workflow of textures and shading in connection with the pipeline
- Brings ideas and creative solutions to optimize the level of visual and technical quality of each project
- Actively participates in the recruitment of new members of his team, in collaboration with the directors and production managers
- At least 10 years of texture and shading experience in 3D animation projects including 5 years in a Supervisor role.
- Good experience in creating textures and shading of semi-realistic, realistic, cartoon or stylized environments
- Strong creative skills and a thorough understanding of the techniques required for interpretation of designs and precise matching of shader materials
- Excellent understanding of lighting, colors, contrasts, shades, shadows
- Excellent knowledge of Maya, Photoshop, Substance Painter (and possibly Designer), VRay, Arnold and good knowledge of 3D sculptures and UV unfolding tools
- Rigor, ability to solve problems, thoroughness and attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills: proactive, communicative, pedagogue
- Oral and editorial fluency in French and English
- Interest in R&D
- Anglais - Level advanced